The First Few Days of Deafness

The next 4 days were hard. I tried to carry on as usual. The new school year was about to start, and it was important for me to be in the school to prepare my classroom and to meet the new parents. I met the parents in what felt like a whirlwind. They were free to enter and see my classroom, and to have a chat with me and my colleagues. The room was full of voices. The pressure in my ear was building. Every time I turned to my left I was surprised to see another person standing next to me, who I hadn’t sensed was there. I wondered whether they realized that I could hardly hear them. I wondered if they were questioning why I stood so close to them to talk.

I met my new class on a Thursday, and forced my way through the deafness to greet them with a smile, and to help them settle into the school. But when the room was busy, and alive with chatting little voices, I couldn’t hear individuals when they came to speak to me. I couldn’t filter out the background noise. After work, I’d go home and lie on the living room floor exhausted from the day, and watch as the room tirelessly spun. I couldn’t focus on anything. I struggled to get up without falling back down again. I found out later that I was suffering from vertigo.

On day 9 of being deaf, I went to see my GP. She looked in my ear and said that it looked normal, but that maybe there was some inflammation. She gave me a prescription for some anti-inflammatory tablets and nasal sprays.

A week later I was sitting in the same doctor’s surgery.

Author: myhearinglossstory

Hi, My name is Carly. I am 38 years old and I am currently living in Spain. I am originally from a small seaside town in Yorkshire called Bridlington, and have also lived in China and Thailand. I am an Early Years primary school teacher, and have been teaching for more than 12 years. I love walking in the countryside, getting lost in Madrid, going out for breakfast, taking photos, listening to music, storytelling podcasts, baking, running, drinking wine, and eating spicy food. In August 2016, I experienced sudden sensorineural hearing loss in my left ear. I started this blog as a way to inform my friends and family about my progress, for anyone else who is going through a similar experience as me, or for anybody who is interested in learning about this type of hearing loss, and the way it can affect everyday life.

2 thoughts on “The First Few Days of Deafness”

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s